Clear Aligner Orthodontic Treatment
Clear aligner therapy has been a part of orthodontic practice for decades, but has, particularly since the introduction of Invisalign aligners, become an increasingly common addition to the orthodontic treatment option.
Currently more than 20 different companies offer Aligner system for Orthodontist to use in their offices.
At North Andover Orthodontics we offer the two best aligner systems in the market:
- Invisalign and Invisalign Teen
- SureSmile Aligners
Aligners are great for people who do not have severe problems. It consists of strong plastic trays that are fabricated especially for you. They are indeed invisible. If your bite is not severely off and your teeth are not severely crooked, then aligners may be a great choice. You would be able to get your teeth straightened without anyone seeing that you are wearing “braces”!
This appeals to many adults, especially people who wore traditional braces as children and then need more treatment later in life. However, if your bite is quite off if you need extractions or other appliances, then aligners will not work for you; you will need to wear traditional braces.
Advantages of Clear Aligners:
- They are virtually invisible, and nobody knows you’re wearing them but you.
- They are easier to clean.
- They don’t irritate your gums, so there is little (if any) need for dental wax.
- They do not stain at all.
- The aligners are numbered and worn for one to two weeks each, so your time in treatment is well established.
Disadvantages of Clear Aligners:
- Compliance is the key – To have optimal result in shortest time aligners must be worn for about 22 hours a day. If not it may take longer than braces to finish the case.
- Treatment can take as long as traditional braces.
- In some cases, you may still need traditional braces for a few months after your aligner treatment, to correct certain problems.
- You will still have tooth pain, because the aligner trays will move your teeth. Aligner treatment is not a pain-free treatment.
- Because the aligners are not glued to your teeth, the movement is less predictable.
Invisalign North Andover & Andover, MA
If your teen needs braces, he or she may just have a reason to smile. The newest addition to the Invisalign product family is Invisalign Teen. Like its clinically proven, FDA-approved predecessor for adults, Invisalign Teen is a series of custom-made, clear plastic aligners that provides a teeth-straightening alternative to more traditional metal braces.
Invisalign for Teenagers
Invisalign Teen is designed to help teenagers maintain their self-esteem and self-confidence and accommodate their active lifestyles while they address their orthodontic needs.
Developed in collaboration with leading orthodontists who understand the treatment demands of teenagers, Invisalign Teen combines the benefits of the Invisalign system with new features, such as a Blue Dot Wear Indicator that fades when the aligner becomes worn and is ready to be changed; Eruption Tabs to accommodate the growth of second molars; and other features to address clinical needs common to teens.
Invisalign Teen Treatment: What’s Involved?
Invisalign Teen can be used to correct mildly crowded teeth, mildly spaced teeth, and simple orthodontic problems. Only your orthodontist can determine if Invisalign Teen is the right orthodontic treatment for you.
After consultation with North Andover Orthodontics, pictures and impressions of the teeth are taken and digitalized. Then, 3D technology is used to map tooth movements from the beginning to end of treatment, forming the basis for creating the customized aligners. On average, treatment takes approximately one year, but varies depending on each specific patient’s needs.
The near invisible Invisalign Teen aligners are custom-designed based on your treatment plan to perfectly fit your teeth. Aligners must be worn every day for between 20 and 22 hours, except for when eating, brushing, flossing, playing sports or attending special occasions.
The aligners are exchanged for a new set every two weeks (or when the Blue Dot Wear Indicator fades), and work continuously to straighten the teeth.